This 150-year-old historic church in Downtown Roanoke had an air conditioner compressor hose burst during a hard winter freeze. The air conditioner was located in the attic of the building and the situation was not discovered until the flooding had caused significate damage to several areas.
In 1993, during a severe storm, a large ash tree fell onto this historic Greek Revival 1843 home. The home is listed in both the National Historic and Virginia Landmark Registries and is one of the oldest homes in the Roanoke Valley. The home sustained over a quarter of a million dollars in damage.
Anne Lee Stevens, a local realtor with Coldwell Banker Townside, came home from vacation on a Sunday evening to find the ceiling in her master bedroom had collapsed. There was debris all over the room and no obvious reason for this to have occurred.
During a severe storm, wind toppled a large oak tree onto this Salem home. It caused extensive damage to the master bedroom and the living area below. Rain got in causing extensive damage throughout. (The weight of the tree hitting the home also caused structural damage.)
This beautiful 1930’s Federal-style home, in an upscale Roanoke neighborhood, was struck by lightning during a severe storm. The chimney was blown apart by the strike and the slate roof and copper flashing all had to be replaced and rebuilt. The roof caught fire and the home sustained substantial fire, smoke and water damage on all four floors. The family was relocated to a nearby condo during the duration of the project.
During a thunder storm, this Roanoke home was struck by lightning which ignited a fire in the elevator shaft on the second floor of the home. Thankfully, one of the homeowners was home and the home sustained little fire damage, however it did sustain extensive water damage. The homeowners moved to a rental home during the restoration and renovations.
In 2004, Building Specialists finished a major renovation and an addition to this lovely South Roanoke home. In 2012, during a severe electrical storm, the home was struck by lightning and caught fire.
In downtown Roanoke, historic Trinity United Methodist Church caught fire and caused extensive fire damage to the breezeway passage that connects the main church to the educational area of the building. The sanctuary and administration building also sustained water and smoke damage.
In late February 2008, Roanoke experienced a very strong wind storm creating damage around the city. Building Specialists, Inc. (BSI) was called to the home of Barbara Branch where a huge oak tree had fallen into her home. The roof sustained the majority of the damage on the backside of the home. A large picture window was knocked out, barely missing the homeowner sitting inside the den.
Seven families were displaced from the 20-unit building. Two apartments were consumed by fire while smoke and water damaged all the apartments below.
This historic South Roanoke home sustained tremendous damage during a storm which caused high winds to topple a large oak tree onto the home. The wing of the home that housed the family room and master suite was a total loss. The damage from the tree allowed rain into the structure causing even more damage.